Monday, March 2, 2009

Still working that weedy side yard

I just read some interesting posts about bindweed eradication (the most interesting one being the suggestion of using a nuclear bomb). Thing is, though that suggestion carries much humor, the bindweed problem is not funny.....at least to me, a homeowner whose land becomes more filled with the weed every year as I stay one step behind in trying to eradicate it (getting rid of the wild pink Gilia is another issue).

All that said, my hope is that the gravel I'm slowly covering that area of the yard with will eventually do the eradication for me. As new bindweed shoots appear, I can spritz them individually with RoundUp, which I've learned empirically does kill the weed deader than a doornail. As far as keeping bindweed from popping up in the tree wells (since they are kept moist most of the summer), I've learned that laying down thick pads of newspaper (and holding it down with rocks) does the same thing as the gravel . . . keeps any light from reaching the weed's leaves or stems . . . and thus does not allow them to grow.

Problem solved . . . as soon as the labor is done.

Now as to the pink Gilia . . .

No comments: