Friday, August 1, 2008

New Babies

This little guy was a sucker off a root of my only Hybrid Poplar. I dug it up and transplanted it to this square full of good potting soil. The first day or two, it lost all its leaves after they dried up and rattled like they were giving a death-knell. I kept on watering (every second or third day) and lo and behold! on about the 4th day, new leaves sprouted along the whole length of the pencil-sized trunk. Now, a month later, it's doubled in size and looks really healthy. I intend leaving it here in this spot, a perfect place to provide lots of shade for the south side of the house all summer long.

This is a River Birch (obtained from the National Arbor Day Foundation early this Spring-2008 and planted soon thereafter). I didn't supplement the soil (my bad!) so it's taking a long time to take hold and show any growth. I've watered it every second or third day since planting and that seems to give it enough to stay alive.

No comments: