Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Swamp Coolers -- My Learning Curve

I was ready to buy a second swamp (evaporative) cooler to supplement the one I currently run in my living room window because the cool air would not reach the back (master) bedroom. What air did enter that room seemed hot and humid.

Then I learned today, thanks to the website of the company that manufactured my Brisa window swamp cooler, that for an evaporative cooler to work satisfactorily (efficiently, cooling-wise), the homeowner had to work out a mathematical solution. For every 1,000 CFM (air blowing power) of the cooler, 2 square feet of open window or door space had to exist to handle the air exhaust. Since my cooler is 4000CFM, I needed to have 8 square feet of open window or open door space.

Amazingly, when I opened my back bathroom window fully and also opened a master bedroom window fully (providing between 8 and 9 square feet of open window space) and have the cooler on high speed, cool air pulls all the way into that back bedroom and the bathroom (the farthest rooms from the window where the cooler is installed). And the air being pulled and exhausted out the open windows is not humid air.

I'm blown away .... no pun intended .... at how well the cooler works, once I learned how it's supposed to work.

So, now I'll wait to see how well it cools the whole house on a *really* hot day.

No comments: