Friday, June 12, 2009

Preserving Basil and Mint

  In spite of the instructions I found on the internet, such as "place basil in a glass of water, cover it with a plastic bag, and store it in the refrigerator" to keep it from spoiling for a few days . . . which worked poorly, by the way . . . this basil has been staying fresh and perky for more than a week now. So, the answer is, stand the basil stalks upright in a glass of water, cold from the tap, making sure that the water does not come up as high as the lowest leaf on any stalk, and place the glass in a kitchen window that gets filtered sunlight. Even if the basil has wilted (from following the plastic bag in the refrigerator), it will regain its vitality in a short while when following the no-bag-in-water-in-the-window instructions and will remain vigorous for a long time. How long? I don't know, but I'm leaving this glassful in my window as I slowly use the basil, and I'll post the facts when I used the last leaf . . . which I expect to be as fresh as they are today.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: