Friday, March 13, 2009

Growing Mesclun

I don't know how much if anything planting mesclun saves over buying it in those big tubs at the supermarket, but growing it is rewarding. A few years ago, I laid out a single spring planting and had enough for the whole neighborhood well into the hottest part of summer. This year, I set up a new space in the yard and will have to see how successful I am. Today I planted two seed packets that I bought directly from Burpee Seeds online: classic mesclun mix and sweet mesclun mix. I did a poor job of estimating how much of each packet to place in each row, and the last row has few seeds in it compared to the other rows. Maybe that means I'll have room for an early planting of basil. We'll see when this planting starts to spout.

I still have time to finish putting my rabbit fence around the bed. First, I have to find more chicken wire; then, I have to hope chicken wire keeps rabbits out.

No comments: