Friday, February 6, 2009

A Kettle of Turkey Vultures

I just found out from a representative at the Audubon Society that my photo is of Turkey Vultures. See the reply to my email:

"Nice photo! They are Turkey Vultures in a kettle. Some of the birds in the photo show the wide wings of Turkey Vultures. Some of the birds show the dihedral (slightly upturned wings making a shallow "v" shape) characteristic of Turkey Vultures. And, the way they are floating in all different directions in a kettle is also characteristic of Turkey Vultures. By the way, I counted the vultures in your photo. It looks like you got a picture of a little over 50 individual Turkey
Vultures. Continued Happy & Productive Birding, (signed) "

Nice term: kettle.

So, I think my next big purchase will be "good" binoculars.

And I'll be able to actively participate in the upcoming backyard bird count Feb 13 to 16, 2009.

No comments: