Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Progress, Two days later, and What's next

 
In spite of what the photo says, it's really 2008, and this is how much progress we made on Sunday and Monday. Fewer loads; too many football games to watch. Go Steelers!! If you look closely, you can see weeds already emerging in the foreground. Aaarrgh! We must get those covered with gravel very soon.

I'm already thinking about what's next. I'll be laying out newspaper mulch (yes, it works as well or better than commercial mulch around trees) and then I'll lay out my drip system.....this time I'll omit the individual drippers at the ends of the 1/4-inch hose that reaches out to each tree from the main hose.....those drippers clog in one season and have to be replaced. About the newspaper mulch: the black and white print is best; don't know how it works, but as the paper and ink disintegrate, they fertilize the tree (over a two-year period, I've discovered). I'm told that colored ink doesn't work as fertilizer, so I try to avoid newspaper with colored photos and such.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: