Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hazel Nut Program

I'm ashamed to say that my part in the Arbor Day Foundation Hazel Nut Program is a total failure. I've had 6 hazel nuts plants and all 6 have died. At least I believe they have, unless one sturdy fellow that I transferred from the ground to a pot survives next spring. Amazingly, it did sprout some leaves this past spring; then, during an especially hot spell, I neglected to give it enough water and it succumbed to the hot, dry weather. I've since watered it religiously, but so far, nothing has popped up in place of the wilted stem that was about the size of fishing line and about 4 inches tall.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should continue in the program. I've received a survey and an invitation to continue, but I'm somewhat discouraged by my past efforts. My fault, I'm sure, for not preparing a nice planting bed for them. But so far, that's how I've dealt with all my trees . . . . sticking them in the ground and giving them water, lots of it for the first couple of years, not as often after that. Some of the trees have flourished; some perished. But those that did make it are strong and robust and have been acclimated to the harsh conditions where I live. It's been "survival of the fittest" and some of the trees, such as the redbuds that went in the ground 5 years ago and that were the size of pencils and barely 12-inches high, now stand over 6-feet, and put forth hundreds of lovely blossoms each spring.

I will probably not continue in the Hazel Nut Program, at least for this year. I have yet to receive 4 crepe myrtle trees this fall, and have decided to give them a better start in a patch of good soil. They will be planted near the redbud forest, or maybe among the forest, and they will be a colorful addition to that part of the yard.

I will document their progress when I begin planting them.

For now, this is the section where the crepe myrtles will go.

No comments: